We Can Make Your Business Run Better
System Integrity really can make your business run better, your IT and IT related business process run smoother, your risk management and governance more effective. By focusing on techniques rather than technologies we can introduce practices that are flexible an sustainable in the face of change.
Information Technology is pervasive and has become essential to all aspects of business and life. From classical business database applications, through the front office, to mobile technology such as laptops, to cell-phones and PDAs, to the vast amount of information on the web necessary to initiate and sustain economic and social activities, we are dependent on the correct and reliable operation of computers, networks and their applications.
What Can We Do For You Today?
We can make your business run better – we can help you use information technology more effectively and improve the way it contributes to the corporate ‘bottom line’.
Business runs on information these days. Order taking, processing and delivery all involve communication and information technology. Making IT work – “aligning” it with the business – efficiently and effectively and making use of the latest innovations & techniques is key to staying ahead.
But while there are many vendors who will sell you products and tell you all the positives and benefits of their products, who is going to make you aware of the risks, the pitfalls and the problems and help you navigate them and turn risks into opportunities?
IT Is Everywhere
All companies are making a substantial commitment in information processing hther they are aware of it or not. Even smaller companies who don’t have IT departments they rely on it. Many uses are obvious when we stop to think but are transparent in every-day use: cell phones, smart phones, PDAs and Organizers, office processing such as telephones and photocopiers as well as the ubiquitous PC.
The business advantage of these types of IT technology and innovations brings with it changes in the way business works.
Today’s business climate is particularly hard on IT. There are many regulations and demands being placed on business and IT is having to shoulder the brunt of them – regulatory compliance such as Sarbanes-Oxley Also known as the ‘Public Company Accounting Reform and Investor Protection Act’ and Bill-198, A Canadian financial measure, sometimes know as the Canadian version of Sarbanes Oxley -‘CSOX’ issues to do with privacy, protection of confidential information and records, accountability, protection against on-line theft, employee rights and risks and so much more. Technology can help but really its about management.
All companies are making a substantial commitment to the use of computers and IT, even the smaller ones who don’t think they rely on it. Many uses are obvious but transparent, cell phones, smart phones, PDAs and Organizers, office processing such as telephones and photocopiers as well as the ubiquitous PC.
What System Integrity can offer
- Development and maintenance of security policies
- Development/maintenance of a security and control framework that consists of standards, measures, practices and procedures
- Periodic assessments of risks and business impact analyses
- Adequate, effective and tested controls for people, processes and technology
- Meaningful monitoring and metrics of security performance
- Annual information security evaluations and performance reports to the board of directors
- Plan for remedial action to address information security deficiencies
- Training in the operation of security processes
- Development and testing of plans for continuing the business in case of interruption or disaster
- Classification and assignment of ownership of information assets
- Recommendations regarding assignment of roles, responsibilities, authority and accountability
- Effective identity and access management process for users and suppliers of information
- Education of all users, managers and board members regarding information security requirements
IT investment is no longer only about implementing solutions. It is increasingly about implementing IT-enabled change. This implies greater complexity and risk than has historically been the case, which means the management practices traditionally applied are no longer sufficient.
With the correct planning and management processes, IT-enabled business investments can bring huge rewards. Effective operations and delivery of value starts with leadership commitment and support from the top. Such leadership, while critical, is, however, not enough. A methodology, a proven methodology is needed.
- Diligence – doing the right thing and doing things right
- Policy – doing what you say and saying what you do
- Compliance – with law and regulations and with good practices and standards
- Risk Management – recognising traps and opportunities and using them to best advantage
- Change Management – because change is going to happen
- Enablement – making sure that there are processes in place so that all of the above keep on happening
There are many tools, techniques and standards that tie together the value of IT and the business. System Integrity staff use the internationally recognized CObIT methodology to asses and work with business managers and planners, and appropriate standards such as ITIL, ISO, PCI and others where the context requires them. CObIT has the advantage of identifying the value issues and addressing IT matters in the language of business.
CObIT complements this “are we doing the right thing?” by focusing on the execution, namely “are we doing it the correct way?” and “how well are we getting things done?”
How Will It Benefit Me?
A carefully executed audit can also add to the credibility of the systems organization by showing how well they performed and that they can account for their actions.
- Improving trust in customer relationships
- Protecting the organisation’s reputation
- Reducing operational costs by providing predictable outcomes — mitigating risk factors that may interrupt the process
Many companies that practice good governance see an increase in share value for various direct and indirect reasons related to increased predictability and reduced uncertainty of business operations, and to reduction of costs arising from errors, omissions and liabilities.
- Lowering of information security-related risks to definable and acceptable levels
- Protection from the increasing potential for civil or legal liability as a result of information inaccuracy or the absence of due care
- The structure and framework to optimise allocation of limited security resources
- Assurance of effective information security policy and policy compliance
- Decreasing likelihood of violations of privacy
- Providing greater confidence when interacting with trading partners
- Building a portfolio of IT projects that interact to innovate and add value
- A firm foundation for efficient and effective risk management, process improvement, and rapid incident response related to securing information
- A level of assurance that critical decisions are not based on faulty information
- Accountability for safeguarding information during critical business activities, such as mergers and acquisitions, business process recovery, and regulatory response
When Should I Deal With This?
If not now then when?
to discuss how System Integrity can improve your IT processes and make your business run better.